3 Days and Nights Common Idiom/Colloquialism?

838 viewsMatthew3 Days and 3 Nights

The Messiah said that 3 night times would be involved with His time in the “heart of the earth”. There are those who believe that the Messiah died on the 6th day of the week and who think that the “heart of the earth” is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the time between the leaving of His spirit from His body and His resurrection on the 1st day of the week. However, this belief allows for only 2 night times to be involved. To reconcile this discrepancy some say that the Messiah was using common Jewish idiomatic/figure of speech/colloquial language of the time.

I am simply asking for examples to support that assertion; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred.

Related

“Three days and three nights” to Jews would be a way of expressing a period of time that includes only parts of 3 days. We can know this from other portions of scripture.

Cripplegate points out a great example. In Esther 4:16 the erstwhile debutant tells Mordecai:

“Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a fast on my behalf, and do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my young women will also fast as you do.”

But then in Esther 5:1 we are told “On the third day Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the king’s palace, … And Esther said, “If it please the king, let the king and Haman come today to a feast that I have prepared for the king.” [She ate the feast with them (vs 6)]. Esther’s timetable was not a contradiction of her commitment to fast for three days and three nights because Jews consider any part of the day to count as a duration known as a “day and night.”

Another example, Luke 13:32 And he said to them, “Go and tell that Fox, “Behold, I cast out demons and perform cures today and tomorrow, and the third day I finish my course. – Jesus clearly didn’t mean that he was curing people the entire day, and all day tomorrow, and finish at the last moment on the 3rd day. According to MacArthur “Expressions like this were common in Semitic usage, and seldom were employed in a literal sense to specify precise intervals of time.”

You are viewing 1 out of 2 answers, click here to view all answers.

Questions

Request a Forum 2 Answers | 0 Votes
Was Jesus Able to Sin? 0 Answers | 0 Votes

Top Forums

Pin It on Pinterest